Thursday, March 4, 2010

On Beirut--for Kristina and Becca

Favorite sign of the week:
Pizza On Fire Wood
(no doubt a literal translation of wood-fired pizza)

_________________________________
I like the daily adventure of life in Beirut, most days, despise it others. What piece of technology may fail today, what confusing multi-phone call administrative snafu may arise, what stranger will show some touching kindness, what new obstacle in the street must I be aware of lest I trip or impale myself, what political drama may unfold? But, in Tacoma, who may be shot?

Living here has renewed my world citizenship, which is very important to me, has sheltered me from a constant barrage of annoying advertising, box stores, the election campaigns last year, and the incomprehensible spin of conservatives entrenched in a fear-driven narrow-minded and selfish mindset. It has made me more aware of how various segments of the world live—migrant workers, Palestinians refugees for 60 years, rich Gulf people (many of whom come here to party), itinerant expatriate teachers...

No comments: